This year we are celebrating Earth Day (April 22) with a weeklong Community Scavenger Hunt! The event will kick off on Saturday, April 17, with the City of Broomfield’s Earth Day celebration at the public library. Throughout each day, registered participants will see 8 or more challenges appear on the free GooseChase app on their smartphones. Each challenge will ask the participant to search online to answer a question, take a photo of themselves completing an activity, or visit different areas of Broomfield.
All challenge responses will be submitted through the GooseChase app and those completed successfully will earn the participant valuable points! Throughout the week and at the end of the game, prizes will be awarded to those participants with the highest point totals. There may also be bonus challenges to earn prizes and some random drawings. The Scavenger Hunt will conclude on Sunday, April 25, with the final challenge, a full moon bike ride through Broomfield’s open space with your family. This community game is perfect for people of all ages and ability levels and is a great way to explore Broomfield, get outside, learn something new, and support your community! To register for the Community Earth Day Scavenger Hunt visit http://bit.ly/EARTHDAYBF2021.
Schedule of Activities
Saturday, April 17th:
- Registered participants will start receiving challenges on their GooseChase smartphone app.
- The City and County of Broomfield hosts its Earth Day Celebration at the Broomfield Library with a special sidewalk chalk mural!
- Daily theme: “Starting Your Journey”
- These challenges will help participants become acquainted with the Goosechase app and familiar with different areas and organizations in Broomfield.
Sunday, April 18th
- Daily theme: “Nature in Your Backyard”
- Participants will be challenged to spend time outdoors exploring and enjoying nature.
Monday, April 19th
- Daily theme: “Sustainable Practices in Broomfield”
- Participants will explore challenges about the many ways to live more sustainable lives.
Tuesday, April 20th
- Daily theme: “Gardening and Composting”
- These challenges will help participants explore the valuable resources available to them for gardening and composting.
Wednesday, April 21st
- Daily theme: “Get Outside! Exploring Your Community”
- Participants will be challenged to explore areas and organizations in Broomfield they may have never been to or heard of.
Thursday, April 22nd, Earth Day!
- Daily theme: “Reduce, Reuse, Recycle”
- These challenges will ask participants to learn about different zero-waste lifestyle options in Broomfield
Friday, April 23rd
- Daily theme: “Supporting Your Community”
- Participants will be challenged to learn how many Broomfield businesses and organizations act sustainably and support the Broomfield community.
Saturday, April 24th
- Daily theme: “Visit and Learn Close to Home”
- These challenges will ask participants to engage with more Broomfield organizations that have something to teach them.
Sunday, April 25th
- Daily theme: “Be Active in Your Community”
- Participants will be challenged to set goals and take action on lessons learned throughout the week.
- Our final challenge will be to take a full moon bike ride through Broomfield. We hope to have prize stops along the way!
Read about the Community Earth Day Scavenger Hunt between April 3rd and April 14th at http://bit.ly/EARTHDAYBF2021. Register for a game starting 6am on Wednesday April 14th. You may join anytime! The game challenges will launch on Saturday, April 17 and run through Sunday, April 25th, so register before April 17th to play all week!
The link above accesses the Scavenger Hunt instructions, game rules, details, and prize information. The instructions will direct you to download the free GooseChase app to your smartphone and register by either creating a GooseChase account or opt to play as a guest. Participants may join as an individual (13 and older) or a family.
Next you will choose and enter a game code, which are provided at the bottom of the instruction page. We offer different game codes so different groups of people (like neighbors) could all play in the same game. A single game can have up to 40 participants, but all games will offer the same questions at the same times. Once you have chosen your game, create or select a player profile and you are ready to begin!
Playing the Game
All challenges that appear in GooseChase will contain the instructions you need to follow to earn points. The challenges will help you learn about Earth Day topics and help you explore Broomfield! Stay tuned to GooseChase as you never know when the next challenge will pop up. Some challenges may even have time limits on them, while many will last all week. You can even earn extra points for impressing the judges behind the scenes so be creative, appropriate, and have fun with your posts! Of course, you could also lose points if they aren’t pleased with your efforts. Join us for some online fun!
Safety is a priority, so please be safe while participating, practice social distancing, and have fun in a positive way! Negative posts will not be tolerated and participants will unfortunately be removed if they appear. Please keep the game fun and family friendly!
Prizes will be awarded to top point earners across all games (participants will be competing within their game but also against other people in other games). To collect your prize you will have to complete a form with a link launched INSIDE GooseChase during the week. Prizes will be distributed after the game has concluded. A full list of prizes to come.