Skip to content
14 Sustainability Tips: Save The Earth, While Saving Money
- 1. Shop at thrift or consignment stores instead of buying brand new.
- 2. Eat less meat. Fruits, vegetables, and grains are better for the environment, and they are cheaper.
- 3. Communicate electronically to save paper. Never underestimate a nicely worded email!
- 4. Use an old fashioned, reel lawn mower that has zero emissions, improves your health with exercise, and saves money on gas and oil.
- 5. Set up a rain barrel system to water your plants and save money on your water bill.
- 6. Hang your clothes on a clothesline to dry and save money on your energy bill from not using the dryer.
- 7. Grow native plants species, or drought-resistant ones, to save on your water bill.
- 8. Plan your errands for efficiency to reduce the amount you have to drive, and save yourself time, gas, and money.
- 9. Compost your organic waste and use the compost in your garden. Saves money by not buying fertilizer.
- 10. Consider reusing items before throwing them away. Wash and reuse ziplock bags, use old shopping bags for trash can liners, plant seedlings in egg cartons, etc.
- 11. Plant a tree to shade your house and save on your summer cooling bill.
- 12. Plant your own fruits and vegetables, or join a community garden, and save money at the grocery store.
- 13. Open your windows at night to naturally cool off your house, instead of running the AC. Save money on your electric bill.
- 14. Consider purchasing an electric or hybrid car for your next vehicle purchase. There are often rebates and electric vehicles require less maintenance.
Making sustainable choices can benefit you and your wallet! Are there any other sustainable tips that you can think of that can also save you money?